Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I AM a Promise!!

Songs pop in my head frequently. Few touch me quite like one did tonight, however.

This one made me giddy. For the past few days, weeks, etc., the thought of leaving for college has left me rather anxious. New people, new city, (new bathrooms?), new expectations...the apprehensions quite overwhelmed me on more than one occasion. And that's without factoring in all the monumental decisions I will face in the upcoming years including choosing a major and career field. Needless to say, even with my building excitement, the unknowns were casting unbecoming shadows on this supposed great milestone of going off to college.

Tonight, though, a song I may not have heard since the long past days of children's summer choir at church cast aside those concerns. The words I played repeatedly in my head were as follows:

"I am a promise
I am a possibility
I am a promise with a capital "P"
I am a great big bundle of potentiality
And I am learnin' to hear God's voice
And I am tryin' to make the right choices
I am a promise to be anything God wants me to be!"

What greater reassuring need I seek? Coupled with a seemingly random (or rather providential?) comment from a friend thanking me for merely just being myself and encouraging me to not change who I am, and then furthered by the words of Romans 4:20-21 I stumbled across as I sought out the remaining lyrics, this song brought me tremendous joy. Thanks be to God for his everlasting love, understanding ear, and comforting whispers!

Romans 4:20-21 Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, being fully persuaded that God had power to do what he had promised.

3 comments: